A work permit or work visa is permission to take a job within a foreign country. It’s an official document giving a foreigner permission to take a job in a country. Anyone willing to work in Nepal must have a work permit. Foreign nationals can not work in Nepal without obtaining a work permit.
Procedures for Obtaining a Work Permit in Nepal: Chapter six, sections 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27 of the Labor Act 2074 have mentioned the provisions relating to work permits in Nepal.
General procedures to obtain a work permit in Nepal
- Publication of vacancy notice by the employer at a national daily newspaper.
- Submission of the application for a work permit before DOL (Department of Labor).
- If deemed necessary, DOL will seek a no objection letter from the ministry of home affairs.
- DOL will grant a work permit after the examination.
- Based on the work permit, foreign nationals will receive a non-tourist visa from DOIM (Department of Immigration) after submission of the application.
Documents Required for Obtaining a Work Permit in Nepal
- Application in the prescribed format
- Evidence of employment contract
- Passport or copy of passport
- Personal details of the foreign national
- Tax clearance certificate of the company
- Qualification details of the candidate if any application is submitted by Nepalese citizens
- Certificate and MOA/AOA of the employer (Company)
Frequently asked questions and answers regarding obtaining a work permit in Nepal
What are the laws governing the work permit in Nepal?
The main laws governing work permits in Nepal are:
a. Labor Act, 2017 (2074
b. Labor Rules, 2018 (2075
c. Foreign Citizen Labor Permission Directive, 2019 (2075)
What is the government fee required to obtain a work permit for a foreign national?
The government fee is about Rs 15,000 for the employment of up to six months, and a fee of Rs 20,000 if the tenure exceeds six months.
How much time does it take to receive a work permit?
It will take 25 to 35 days to receive the work permit from the DOL and 3 to 4 days on the DOI for the issuance of a working visa. So overall, it will take 30 to 45 days to receive the work permit through the general procedure.
What is the time period for the validity of a work permit?
Generally, a work permit is granted for a period of one year at a time and has to be renewed annually. Work permit time period can be extended up to the following mentioned time depending on the nature of labor :
1) Foreign nationals with high skills and technical knowledge = Maximum of five years
2) Others = Maximum of three years
How can a work permit be renewed?
In order to renew the work permit, the employer must submit an application before DOL for renewal at least 30 days before the expiry of validation of the work permit and upon submission, DOL will renew it.
What is the maximum number of foreign employees that a company can hire?
If there is any special agreement between the employer and the government of Nepal then the number of foreign employees will be as per that agreement.
If there is no such agreement, the employer can hire employees less than or within five percent of the total number of employees.
Are there any exceptions where the work permit is not required for foreign nationals?
Pursuant to section 23(2) of the Labor Act there exists the following exception where a work permit is not required :
- People with diplomatic immunity
- If the work permit requirement is not needed under the treaties or agreements concluded between the Government of Nepal and the employer.